Steffen Counseling Services is excited to begin offering Prepare Enrich Premarital Couples Therapy with our clinical intern, Aishleen O’Brien. Prepare Enrich Premarital Counseling is grounded in research and has been used by millions of couples worldwide! It offers a structured and evidence-based approach to help couples build a solid foundation for a successful and enduring marriage. Whether couples are entering marriage for the first time or seeking to strengthen their relationship before tying the knot, the curriculum provides a valuable framework.
What are the Benefits of Premarital Therapy?
To put it succinctly, research consistently highlights the positive and far reaching benefits that premarital therapy provides. Here are just a few statistics to highlight the research:
- Reduced Divorce Rates: Couples who engage in premarital counseling are reported to experience a 30% lower divorce rate than those who do not seek such counseling (Stanley, Amato, Johnson, & Markman, 2006).
- Improved Relationship Satisfaction: A study published in the Journal of Family Psychology found that couples who participated in premarital education reported higher levels of relationship satisfaction compared to those who did not receive such education (Lavner, Karney, & Bradbury, 2016).
- Enhanced Communication Skills: Research indicates that premarital therapy is effective in improving communication between partners. A study published in the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy found that couples who underwent premarital counseling reported significant improvements in communication skills (Duncan, Steed, & Needham, 2012).
- Better Conflict Resolution: Premarital counseling has been linked to improved conflict resolution strategies. A study in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology reported that couples who participated in premarital education demonstrated enhanced conflict management skills (Halford, Sanders, & Behrens, 2001).
- Long-Term Benefits: Research conducted by Hawkins and Fackrell (2009) revealed that couples who engaged in premarital counseling not only experienced immediate improvements in relationship satisfaction but also sustained these positive effects over the long term.
- Financial Satisfaction: Financial disagreements are a common source of marital stress. Premarital counseling has been shown to positively impact financial satisfaction among couples, as reported in a study published in the Journal of Financial Therapy (Britt, Moore, & Chua, 2016).
- Lower Rates of Domestic Violence: A study published in the Journal of Family Violence found that premarital counseling was associated with lower rates of domestic violence among couples, emphasizing the preventive role of such interventions (Eisikovits & Edleson, 1989).
These statistics collectively highlight the preventive and positive effects of premarital therapy on various aspects of relationships. While each couple’s experience is unique, these findings underscore the potential benefits of investing in premarital counseling to build a strong foundation for a lasting and fulfilling marriage. One of the more popular premarital curriculums is called Prepare Enrich, which we’ll detail below.
What is Prepare Enrich Premarital Counseling?
Prepare Enrich (PE) is a widely used and reputable program for premarital couples counseling, designed to help couples prepare for marriage by providing them with insights into various aspects of their relationship. The program utilizes a combination of assessments, exercises, and counseling sessions to address key areas of relationship dynamics. Providers who use PE must be trained and certified before seeing couples for premarital therapy, which is an added benefit of the program.
Here’s a breakdown of what Prepare Enrich premarital counseling entails:
1. Assessment: Couples who participate in Prepare Enrich begin by taking a comprehensive questionnaire that covers various aspects of their relationship, including communication, conflict resolution, personality traits, family background, financial habits, and more. The results provide a snapshot of the couple’s strengths and areas that may need attention, providing a roadmap for sessions.
2. Feedback Sessions: Your therapist will interpret your assessment results, bringing these insights into compatibility, potential areas of conflict, and ways to build on existing strengths. Feedback is constructive and serves as a foundation for discussions and long-term goal-setting.
3. Skill-Building Exercises: Prepare Enrich includes a set of exercises and activities designed to enhance specific relationship skills- these may focus on communication, problem-solving, understanding each other’s needs, and developing strategies for maintaining a healthy relationship. Couples engage in these exercises to strengthen their connection and build a solid foundation for marriage.
4. Exploration of Relationship Dynamics: The program encourages couples to explore various aspects of their relationship, such as their expectations, family-of-origin influences, and individual values., as understanding these dynamics helps couples navigate potential future challenges. Couples will be prepared in advance for their unique set of potential problems, so that if/when they encounter these issues, they’ll be familiar topics.
5. Continued Support: Couples are provided with tools and resources to continue working on their relationship independently. This ongoing support helps couples apply what they’ve learned and maintain a strong and healthy partnership.
In the journey towards a fulfilling and lasting marriage, couples find valuable guidance through the transformative waters of premarital counseling, particularly with the renowned Prepare Enrich program. This comprehensive approach offers a toolkit of personalized strategies to fortify communication, resolve conflicts, and unveil the unique qualities that make each partnership distinctive. Backed by research, premarital therapy has been shown to significantly reduce divorce rates, enhance relationship satisfaction, and improve communication and conflict resolution skills. These benefits extend beyond the immediate, contributing to sustained relationship health and even lower rates of domestic violence. The statistics emphasize the tangible and long-term advantages of premarital counseling, reinforcing its role as a proactive investment in building a resilient foundation for the journey into marital bliss.
This comprehensive approach offers a toolkit of personalized strategies to fortify communication, resolve conflicts, and unveil the unique qualities that make each partnership distinctive. Backed by research, premarital therapy has been shown to significantly reduce divorce rates, enhance relationship satisfaction, and improve communication and conflict resolution skills. These benefits extend beyond the immediate, contributing to sustained relationship health and even lower rates of domestic violence. If you’d like to explore premarital therapy using the Prepare Enrich program, contact Aishleen O’Brien at Aishleen@steffencounselingservices.com.