Accepting Applicants for Licensed Associates
Clinical Therapist Job Description:
Position Overview: Clinical therapist will provide outpatient individual and couples therapy to patients of Steffen Counseling Services (SCS). Clinical therapy services include treatment of adolescents, adults, couples and families. We are currently looking for couples therapists or counselors who work with ages 13+, who are sex positive, anti-racist, social justice minded, and ready to be a part of a collaborative team.
About SCS: we believe in creating the best atmosphere for our clients and employees and supporting our community. Our mission is to help members of our communities reconnect with the things that are truly important and thrive, both in their own lives and in their relationships. Our vision is to eliminate mental health stigma by creating awareness of, appreciation for, and acceptance of mental health self-care. We are a team who values working collaboratively, deepening our practice through ongoing consultation and education, and helping improve the health and wellness of our communities. We value continuing education through training, reading, writing, and engagement with the community via public speaking, teaching, and social media engagement. Additional activities outside of seeing clients (besides supervision, meetings, and trainings) are not required by any means, but we have the background to support your growth in those additional areas. For example, SCS is involved in teaching, public speaking/education, and sex education via social media.
Our Values: Steffen Counseling Services lives by values that guide who we are as a team and how we present to our communities.
Creating strong relationships: Building strong, meaningful relationships is a basic need for all of us. We value building relationships within our community and helping our clients do the same. We help fellow therapists (within and outside of SCS) grow- via providing referrals, answers to questions, resources, and consultation. We hold monthly consult groups, outside of staff meetings and supervision, and encourage clinicians to network with the local therapist community. We never practice in isolation.
Serving the community: Part of our mission is to contribute to promoting wellness within the community through community involvement, speaking engagements/free education, and financially available treatment through our internship program. It is our goal to reach more people and provide psychoeducational services to anyone who wants them via work with our therapy clients, community based clinicians, graduate students, and associate therapists.
Client Centered, Clinician Centered: We’re committed to providing the best treatment for our clients and a supportive environment for our team. We promote continued education for our clinicians through quarterly training in evidence-based practices so clients can feel safe knowing their therapist is always growing in their skill set. We meet as a team for staff meetings and consultation meetings, and we seek out answers to our treatment questions- rather than referring clients out if we don’t have expertise. There are very few issues that need an external referral, and if possible, we prefer to learn and consult rather than referring clients out after they’ve developed a therapeutic alliance.
Promoting inclusion: We promote hiring clinicians of varying backgrounds, beliefs, and specialties to better serve the diverse and unique experience of our clients. It’s also important that our office promotes a foundation of diversity, equity, and inclusivity in its culture and practice. We have a special interest in serving the LGBTQIA community, providing quality sex and couples therapy (two specalties that are underserved/hard to find treatment for), and supporting clients who are facing discrimination of any kind. We support clients in their exploration of their sexual and gender identity. We support clients in their spirituality and their personal development, regardless of our own personal beliefs.
Reports to: Brittany Steffen, MS, LMFT, AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, WA Certified Supervisor
Associate supervision at SCS is optional, and is not a requirement for employment
- Perform telehealth clinical counseling services to patients of SCS, as scheduled, and in accordance with company policies
- Regular and reliable attendance and timely arrival to work is required
- Be properly licensed and abide by all laws, rules, regulations, and codes of ethics
- Respond to patients’ requests for service via email within 24 business hours (excluding time off), and to phone calls within 3 business days (also excluding time off). Respond to such requests by scheduling, evaluating, and providing services to such patients, as well as referrals if needed
- Communicate with a patient’s treatment team (i.e., PCP, psychiatrist, school, etc.) as necessary
- Timely complete written records for each patient including, but not limited to: intake notes, progress notes, treatment plans, termination notes, contract notes, and other forms or documents which may be needed or required from time-to-time by SCS or third parties in conjunction with the treatment of the patient within a timely fashion (by Friday of each week). Keep patient files accurate and up to date
- Attend required staff meeting and training as directed by SCS.
- Attend required supervision needed for licensure with your contracted supervisor
- Conduct and regulate counseling services in a professional manner. Be respectful of and
cooperative and collaborative with co-workers
- Participation in collaboration with colleagues and supervisor, and helping our team
members grow and learn
- Mindfulness with regards to your personal social media presence
- Other duties as may be assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Align with Steffen Counseling Services mission, vision, and values
- Must be punctual in reporting to work
- Master’s Degree or Doctoral Degree in counseling or social work; and
- Active, unrestricted license (PhD, PsyD, LCSW, LMFT or LCPC) in the State of Washington
(must be an associate or fully licensed provider). A copy must be provided to SCS
- Available to hold at least 20+ patient sessions per week (or at least 80 per month),
provided such sessions are available and referred/scheduled
- Be organized and detail oriented
- Be able to work independently on tasks assigned
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Prior experience in a clinical setting
- Have at least one niche market for counseling services (i.e., sex therapy, LGBTQ issues, teens, trauma, anxiety, grief, anger management, etc.)
This position is not right for you if you’re:
- Someone who doesn’t feel passion for our mission, vision and values
- Someone who prefers not to work collaboratively- we value being able to pick up the
phone and consult with colleagues as needed. If you prefer working in isolation, a group
practice setting may not be a good fit
- If you enjoy the administrative work associated with your therapy practice- dealing with
insurance billing, paperwork, networking/community outreach/finding clients, scheduling, and the details of running a legal and up to date business, private practice is probably a better fit. This particular group practice involves seeing clients, doing notes, consultation/staff meetings, and minimal work related to onboarding clients.
- Someone who is considering starting their own private practice within the next 23 months- the onboarding process for a new clinician is expensive and time consuming, and it takes time to build a client load. We hope to retain our associate clinicians until they are fully licensed, and longer if that’s their preference
This position perfect for you if you’re:
- Aligned with Steffen Counseling Services mission, vision, and values.
- Energized by helping others in a team and contributing to the growth of your practice,
and your colleagues’ practices
- Social justice oriented and practice anti-racism work
Creative, engaged in doing good work, and excited by furthering our mission to making
- wellness a down-to-earth practice
- Able to take direct and constructive feedback and run with it